Monday 25 February 2013

Ernest in Ireland!

I'm afraid I'm a day late with this week's post as I went away to Ireland last week to visit the family and was totally exhausted (in a good way) when I got back yesterday and even typing was too much
During this visit we went to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park for the day. We used to go a lot when we were children but I hadn't been in years and we had a great time. It's a good place to visit if you find yourself on the West Coast of Ireland. It's a lovely castle with lots of spiral staircases and worn stone steps- I love worn stone steps, they make you wonder about all the people who've trodden on those steps to wear them away and give them that wonderful smooth polish.
Then there's lots of cottages, shops and a school set out as they would have been in days gone by. There were turf fires burning in all the cottages and fresh scones being baked for the visitors to try. There's also a weaver's shop to visit with items for sale! They had some beautiful handmade hats that I admire, very Twenties looking and my aunt Claire said she didn't like that style at all. To quote her, "They look like something Mo (her Grandma) would wear". Well, I tried it on none-the-less and she totally changed her mind, so much so I ended up buying it! I was also very pleased I'd supported a local craftsperson, always a great excuse ;-)




I also bought some fabric and wool remnants and a button- I couldn't resist!



I look forward to using them for something, when I get round to is a different matter.
My Mum and Claire had a fantastic time on the swings and Claire fell in love with one of the pigs!
 



All in all it really was a good day on a lovely trip. Nothing beats quality time with family.

Before I went I did manage to make a couple more owl doorstops, these two much more colourful characters!



 'Til next time, Craft In Earnest! x

No comments:

Post a Comment